The question is whether his show can survive the firestorm.
"By using this kind of insulting language against Louis Vuitton handbags a young woman who no one had heard of," observes Howard Kurtz of Newsweek and CNN, "in a lot of people's eyes, he crossed the line, and that's why you see this huge backlash, including the advertisers who are now deserting his program."
Last year, liberal commentator Ed Schultz used language identical to Limbaugh's referring to a conservative female commentator when he said, "Like this rightwing slut, what's her name - Laura Ingraham. She's a talk-slut." Schultz apologized the next night on his show on MSNBC, saying, "On my radio show yesterday, I used vile and inappropriate language."
But no other pundit has the audience -- or the power -- of Limbaugh.
"Limbaugh is such a big moneymaker for so many radio stations," Kurtz points out, "that I don't think he's gonna be brought down by this, by any means."
And if his audience of self-described "ditto-heads" continues tuning in, Limbaugh should survive this latest controversy.
The list of 30 participants includes Allianz, BNP Paribas, Deutsche Bank, HSBC and Royal Bank of Scotland, as well as several Greek banks. Many of them had already publicly committed themselves to the deal but Wednesday’s statement marked the first time all the holdings had been added together.
Louis Vuitton handbags, cheap Louis Vuitton bags sale, 50% off. The move came a day after Greece threatened to default on any of its bondholders who did not take part in the debt swap, a move that turned up the heat on potential holdouts ahead of a deadline on Thursday.
The Greek public debt management agency said Athens “does not contemplate the availability of funds” to pay private investors who hold on to their bonds once the restructuring occurs.
The threat is particularly aimed at 14 per cent of investors who own Greek bonds issued under international law. The remaining 86 per cent, who own €177bn in Greek-law bonds, were also warned that Athens would use new legal provisions, called collective action clauses (CACs), to force the deal on holdouts.
The transaction is projected to wipe €100bn from Greece’s debt pile, but 95 per cent of bondholders must participate for that target to be reached.
People close to the deal said the tactics now were to ensure, through the use of CACs, that all of the Greek law bonds were included in the swap. That would mean participation would be at least 86 per cent. They also expect some foreign law bonds to be tendered, pushing the rate up to close to 90 per cent, a figure Athens might well claim is a success.
A Greek debt restructuring would mark the first time in more than 60 years a developed nation has defaulted on its obligations and would be a new nadir in the two-year gucci bags long eurozone crisis.